Monday, February 23, 2009

Welcome

I love visiting neighborhood meetings. It’s a great way to get the pulse of the community, discuss pressing issues and talk about the wonderful work the men and women of the Kansas City Missouri Police Department do. Unfortunately, I can’t attend neighborhood meetings as frequently as I’d like. But I’d still like the opportunity to hear from the community, chat about important issues and tell you about the amazing things members of the police department do day in and day out – which is why we’re launching this blog.

With more than 319 square miles to patrol and a day-time population of more than 1 million people to serve, the KCPD has a tremendous responsibility, and you deserve to know more about us. One of the biggest issues facing our department right now is the budget, and we’ll be placing pertinent information on that topic up here regularly.

I want this blog to serve as a place where you can hear about our latest news, officers’ heroics, crime statistics and patterns, and my take on the issues of the day. You also can tell me what you’re thinking by clicking on the “e-mail the Chief” link at the bottom of each post. We’re here to protect and serve you, so your feedback is important. Feel free to link this blog to yours or put it on your Web page.

It’s an honor to serve you, and welcome to my blog. You can e-mail your comments to me at kcpdchiefblog@kcpd.org.