The Kansas City Missouri Police Department and its community partners will present two, fun-filled National Night Out Against Crime events in different parts of the city tomorrow, Aug. 1. Everyone is invited to attend.
For the first time, the Police Athletic League is sponsoring a Night Out Against Crime event and open house from 2 to 7:30 p.m. at the PAL Center at 1801 White Ave. And KCPD’s two north-of-the-River patrol divisions are joining with Northland Neighborhoods Inc. for the Fifth Annual Night Out Against Crime extravaganza from 5 to 8:30 p.m. at Oak Grove Park, 76th and North Troost, Gladstone. The events are part of the National Night Out Against Crime effort, which aims to unite communities in fighting crime and partnering with law enforcement.
PAL EVENT – 1801 White
The public is invited to stop by the PAL Center to check out the new computer lab and community room and enjoy a pasta dinner from 5 to 7:30 p.m. catered by Cosentino’s, Accurso’s Italian Restaurant and Mendolia Sausage. Donations will be accepted to support PAL programs.
In addition to the open house and dinner, the free event will feature:
* Crime prevention, emergency preparedness and information booths by: MAST, CSL Plasma Center, East Patrol Division, Kansas City Missouri School District, ADT Security, Metropolitan Organization to Counter Sexual Assault, D.A.R.E., Salvation Army and C.O.M.B.A.T.
* Police Department displays – Helicopter, Bomb and Arson, Canine, Mounted Patrol and Tactical Squads
* Kansas City Fire Department – Fire safety booth and display
* Free health screenings from the Kansas City Health Department
* Guest speakers – Alvin Brooks and Ossco Bolton
* Carnival games and inflatable attractions from Carnival Times
* Entertainers – Local band, poetry, positive rap and PAL cheerleaders
For more information, call the PAL Center at 241-6816. Other community partners for the event include the Kansas City Crime Stoppers, Ad Hoc Group Against Crime, Farmers Insurance and Kansas City Parks and Recreation.
NORTHLAND EVENT – 76th and North Troost
The 5th Annual Northland National Night Out Against Crime Kick-Off event is a unique crime and drug prevention event that involves the community, businesses and law enforcement together in fighting crime. All aspects of the event are free:
* Food – hot dogs, chips, drinks, snow cones, ice cream, pop, popcorn and cotton candy
* Prizes – a Prize Cube with more than $4,000 in prizes for adults and kids
* Entertainment – classic rock by Midnight Station, clowns, story-telling
* Crime prevention booths: Ident-A-Child, Ident-A-Senior, Fire Department, KCPD Helicopter, Canine, Bomb and Arson and Mounted Patrol units
* Law enforcement officers from: Kansas City, Clay County, Gladstone, Liberty, Claycomo, Pleasant Valley and Riverside
For more information on the Northland event, call 454-2000. In addition to Northland Neighborhoods Inc. and KCPD, other sponsors of this event include Burns Printing, Gladstone Parks and Recreation, Pepsi, Sam’s Club, Target and Wal-Mart.