Monday, September 19, 2011

The Chief's blog carries on


Hello, my name is Cheryl Rose, and I’m honored to be serving as the interim chief of police of the Kansas City Missouri Police Department. I was very humbled the Board of Police Commissioners chose me to serve in this capacity until a permanent replacement for now-retired Chief James Corwin will be selected, likely in mid-October. The Board has the authority to name an interim chief under the provisions of 84.490(2) of the Revised Statutes of Missouri. I was sworn in this morning.

I always thought Chief Corwin’s blog was a great idea and an excellent way to communicate with the public we serve, so I wanted to continue it during my time in office. First, I wanted to introduce myself. I was born and raised in south Kansas City, graduating from Hickman Mills High School. I have bachelor’s and master’s degrees in the administration of justice from the University of Central Missouri.

I joined the Kansas City Police Department in 1987 and have been assigned many different places, so I have a good overview of how the department operates. Some of those assignments have included patrol, Street Crimes Unit, Internal Affairs, Robbery Unit, Planning and Research, and being commander of the South Patrol Division. Most recently I was assigned as deputy chief of the Administration Bureau, which oversees the Information Services and Human Resources divisions.

Outside of the police department, I am a board member for Rosebrooks Center, a domestic violence shelter and agency.

Again, I’m very honored to be in this position for a time, and I plan to give it my all and do the best I can.

Send comments to kcpdchiefblog@kcpd.org.