Wednesday, May 30, 2012

What's been in my e-mail inbox lately

In just the last two weeks, I have received multiple e-mails from residents praising members of this department. Several had gone on ride-alongs and were impressed to see how officers conduct themselves on a day-to-day basis. Others were pleased with the way officers resolved a situation. I wanted to share some of these messages with you:

From a woman whose car stereo was stolen last fall and didn’t expect to get it back:

I was very surprised to receive a call from Detective Herriman on May 14th that our stereo had been located in a pawn shop. He explained what actions I could take, and when I expressed that I did not want to press charges, but was unsure about contacting the owner myself, he told me that he might be able to retrieve the stereo with me, which was great because we had never replaced it. He asked if I could meet him at the pawn shop, and I explained that my husband had just had surgery, and I had been told not to leave him alone for the first few days of recovery. He then told me that he could drop the stereo off at our home that same afternoon. I was really shocked by how helpful he was, especially for such a small item!

Not only was Detective Herriman extremely helpful and friendly, but I think it's really incredible that pawn shops and other retailers are being checked for stolen goods. Even though property crimes like these are minor offenses, it really does increase my sense of safety at how thorough the police force in Kansas City is. Thank you so much for all you do, especially Detective Herriman!

From a woman who did a ride-along in the Metro Patrol Division on May 21

We hear a great deal of media coverage regarding Kansas City’s exploding homicide rate and, understandably, it deserves the media’s attention. But, we rarely hear about the outstanding service our KMCO Police Officers provide day-in-and-day-out. They are the first responders – they put their own lives on the line every day to protect our citizenry and, unfortunately, they receive little public recognition for their tremendous effort.

I watched Officer Grizzoffi deal with a mother of four, living in deplorable conditions, and yet he was kind and considerate of her circumstances. As the night progressed I saw him interact with numerous individuals who would push the limit of tolerance for many individuals, including myself. I observed Officer Grizzoffi assist 2 other officers with the detainment and arrest of a habitual criminal calmly and professionally. And I was moved by Officer Grizzoffi’s effort to reach out to a troubled woman who had attempted suicide with compassion and sympathy.

Nothing I do professionally, on any given day, no matter how “taxing” I find it to be, can compare to what our police officers face on a daily basis. I am very thankful we are protected by exceptional policemen, like Officer Grizzoffi.

From a woman who lives in South Kansas City:

I'd just like to say thanks to all the officers, in cars and on horses, who did such a great job peacefully dispelling the very large group of kids attempting to overrun the 7-11 at Blue Ridge Blvd and 107th Street around noon on Wednesday, May 23rd! Their approach and plan was just perfect, and their professionalism evident.

From a man who went on a ride-along in the South Patrol Division on May 11:

I would like to thank you for the opportunity to participate in the Ride Along program this past May 11. I would also like to commend the officer that I accompanied, Officer Cooper and his partner, Jason. It was a terrific learning experience for me and gave me insight into the challenges the police on the street face every day. Officer Cooper displayed sharp reaction in a difficult domestic violence situation and handled it with poise. Both of these officers showed a clear understanding of the law they are assigned to uphold and are attentive to the procedures required to fulfill case duty.

Send comments to kcpdchiefblog@kcpd.org.