Thursday, August 10, 2017

Farewell from Interim Chief David Zimmerman

Chief David Zimmerman has served as Interim Chief of Police of the Kansas City Missouri Police Department (and author of this blog) during the last three months during the search and hiring process for a new chief. Major Richard C. Smith will be sworn in as the new Chief at 9:30 a.m. next Tuesday, Aug. 15. Today, Chief Zimmerman sent out a farewell message to the members of KCPD, and he wanted to share it with KC residents. 

"As my tenure as Chief of Police draws to a close, I am compelled to expressed some heartfelt words about the last three months. I appreciate the Board of Police Commissioners affording me the opportunity to lead this great organization as they undertook the search for the next Chief of Police. 

"Also, the words of encouragement and support I have received from the public in my day-to-day interactions throughout this city is evidence of the tremendous strides made over that last five years to strengthen the relationship between the police department and the community we serve.
  
"Further, I find it necessary to express my gratitude to the men and women of the Kansas City Missouri Police Department, especially to Executive Command for their assistance and the Chief’s Office staff who kept me on time, on task, on message and headed in the right direction. Finally, and foremost, I must thank all of the women and men of our police department who keep this 24/7 operation moving, particularly those answering the call for 'any car' or 'shots fired.' These brave souls do not hesitate to go in harm’s way to save another while guided by the better angels of our nature.  I realize it sometimes seems like an impossible hill to climb, especially as we try to adjust to staffing reductions of nearly 10 percent from previous years. However, I am confident the members of this organization will persevere and conquer any challenge that arises.  

"I only ask that you show the same support for Chief Rick Smith, who will need it as he faces the daunting task of dealing with violent crime plaguing many areas of our city.  

"Please know that I will cherish my 35 years with the Kansas City Missouri Police Department, especially these last three months, while my thoughts and prayers will be for each of you long after I have ceased wearing the badge and uniform.

Chief David B. Zimmerman "