Thursday, March 31, 2011

Opening Day at the K, and KCPD

Today is Opening Day for the Kansas City Royals, and we're ready to get all you baseball fans smoothly in and out of Kauffman Stadium. In addition to security inside, we've posted 14 traffic enforcement officers around the Sports Complex. They're at Gates 1, 2 and 3, as well as on Manchester Trafficway. They went out early and are there now to help get all the tail-gaters in safely.

Remember that the new George Brett Bridge next to the Sports Complex opened yesterday, replacing the Blue Ridge Cutoff. There will be a bit of a learning curve. From the Missouri Department of Transportation:

"The new bridge, dedicated to Major League Hall-of-Famer George Brett, a career-long Kansas City Royal, is longer by 14 feet and wider by 18 feet to accommodate changes to I-70. The bridge is part of a $39 million project to also add a third lane of I-70 beneath I-435, a half-diamond interchange at I-435 and Route 40, a collector-distributor ramp system for I-435 to eastbound I-70 and reconfigured ramps at I-70 and Route 40."

So drive carefully, and enjoy the Royals home-opener!

Send comments to kcpdchiefblog@kcpd.org.