Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Saturday's Women's Personal Safety Seminar rescheduled to Jan. 9

PRESS RELEASE:

Kansas City Missouri Police have rescheduled the next Women’s Personal Safety Seminar for 8 a.m. to noon Jan. 9, 2010, at the Kansas City Regional Police Academy, 6885 N.E. Pleasant Valley Rd.

The seminar had previously been set for Dec. 12. That class is cancelled.

The four-hour seminar focuses on awareness, prevention, streetwise caution and self defense. Kansas City Police Academy instructors and other KCPD officers teach the class, which features one hour in the classroom learning practical crime prevention tips and three hours on mats in the gym learning self defense techniques. The four-hour course costs $25 and is open to women and girls 12 and older throughout the metropolitan area. To register, fill out this registration form and follow the instructions for sending it in.

After the first Women’s Personal Safety Seminar on Nov. 14, participants were asked to fill out evaluation forms on the course. Here’s some of what they said:

• “Very practical, very professional training. … I liked both sessions – classroom and gym.”

• “Extremely beneficial – it means more to me coming from KCPD.”

• “It made me aware of the fact that I don’t have to a victim.”

• “The format was terrific. I will definitely recommend it to others.”

• “I feel more prepared for situations that I hope I never have to be in.”

For more information on the Women’s Personal Safety Seminar, call the Academy at 816-413-3500.